How to get a visa to China - business visa, work visa

Update date:
29 May 2024
Date of publication:
29 May 2024
Reading time: 4 minutes

Table of contents:

The Middle Kingdom is a beautiful country full of monuments, history and beautiful landscapes. The booming economy encourages many people to take up employment in China or to do business there. Poles need to apply for a visa to enter the PRC. A business visa is necessary to move within the country. The type of visa depends on the purpose of the trip. It can be a one-time or multi-entry permit to move within the scope of your profession.

Types of visas to China - business and non-business 

Polish citizens are required to obtain a visa from the consulate of the People's Republic of China. The visa is valid throughout the country except for Hong Kong and Macao. Visa applications can be submitted at the office of the Chinese Visa Centre, which operates at the Chinese Consulate in Warsaw, or at the Visa Centre website.

  1. Type L tourist visa - single-entry visa valid for 180 days and double-entry visa valid for 6 months; allows a maximum stay of 30 days for tourism purposes.
  2. Business and commercial visa type M - A single-entry visa is valid for 3 months, a double-entry visa for 6, and a multiple-entry visa is valid for at least 6 or 12 months. The maximum stay is 90 days of stay. The visa can be obtained for participating in trade fairs as an exhibitor, carrying out inspections in factories, exchanging experiences, business talks or attending conferences. The validity of the visa is 6 months from the date of issue.
  3. Type F research visa - type of visa usually single-entry, valid for a period of 6 months. Holders may stay in China for a maximum of 30 days. Allows participation in conferences, courses and exchange of experiences.
  4. Type Z work visa - Issued to persons who wish to take up gainful employment or carry out an apprenticeship in the PRC. Single-entry visa valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

According to information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Poles do not need a visa to enter Hong Kong if their stay is for tourist purposes and does not last longer than three three months. It is sufficient to present a passport (or temporary passport), the validity of which must be at least one month from the date of departure. There is also no obligation to register. In the case of a transit stay, the validity must be a minimum of six months from the date of departure. A visa is only required if you wish to take up gainful employment. Failure to obtain a visa and undertake work is punishable by imprisonment or a fine.

To obtain a visa in Hong Kong, you need to go to The Immigration Department.

If you are planning a China-Hong Kong-China trip, you will need to apply for a double-entry visa. The same is true if you are planning a similar trip to Macau and Taiwan.

The consulate has the right to refuse an application, change multiple entries or visa expiry dates without stating a reason, If you are travelling with a minor child, write a statement that you are aware of the child's departure abroad and are responsible for the child.

What to prepare in order to apply for a business visa M

To apply for a visa, you will need:

  • passport valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date of return with two blank pages;
  • photocopy of page with personal details and photograph;
  • visa application with two colour photographs and invitations;
  • if you are flying to China from an airport other than Poland, you will need to write a statement explaining how you will get there; 
  • A correctly completed visa application downloaded from the Chinese Embassy website.

An invitation to China - what is it?

The visa invitation letter is an essential document to be attached to an M business visa application. It contains a lot of detailed information about the details of your stay. It is issued by the employer or contractor. Invitation requirements:

  • must be written in English or Chinese on letterhead (not plain paper);
  • the address in the header is to be written in English and Chinese; the address should be accurate and have a telephone number and e-mail address;
  • must be addressed to the Consulate of the People's Republic of China;
  • clear stamp of the Chinese company and signature of the decision-maker;
  • next to the signature, the decision-makers must include their details in English and Chinese in block capitals: first and last name, job title, telephone, e-mail address and date of invitation;
  • full personal details of the invitee;
  • the exact date of departure from Poland;
  • the exact date of departure from China;
  • description of the purpose of the visit (minimum three sentences);
  • who covers travel costs;
  • sentence: kindly issue visa (kind) for (x) months of validity, up to (x) days of stay each, single/ double/multiple entry.

Having any errors in the invitation or the rest of the documentation will result in an immediate refusal of the visa application.

Business visa to China - summary

It takes between 5 and 6 days to obtain a visa, and between 3 and 4 days in express mode. There are a number of companies that provide assistance in obtaining an M visa. They will help you obtain your chosen type of document quickly and easily. The cost of obtaining a visa ranges from PLN 300 to 700, depending on whether you have chosen the express mode or not. 

Share the article:
Copy link

Oceń stronę

0 / 5 Ocena strony: 5 Liczba ocen: 1

Twoja ocena strony:

Related articles

Read other articles explaining import and transport issues from China.

07 Jun 2023
Reading time: 2 minutes

The conflict between Russia and Ukraine is well underway and does not look set to end any time soon. We would like to look at this conflict from the perspective of transporting ...

29 Jun 2023
Reading time: 4 minutes

What are INCOTERMS 2020 ? INCOTERMS rules are international trade rules that apply worldwide. They are used in international transactions and Incoterms define the scope of liability, cost...

06 Jan 2024
Reading time: 2 minutes

There have been more than a dozen attacks on container ships in the Red Sea recently, causing the world's five largest shipping companies to decide to skip shipping through the canal....

The article link has been copied.

Would you like to receive valuable information on imports from China?

By subscribing to our newsletter once a week you will receive the latest news on imports from China